The PhD program in Comparative Politics is strongly based on the research activities conducted at ICS. We aspire to scholarly excellence by combining research and teaching.
ICS is among the top institutions in Portugal as regards research in comparative politics and international relations. Its PhD program provides:
- Training in advanced methodological techniques;
- Exposure to the most up-to-date international research;
- Interaction with cutting edge national and international scholars;
- Integration into an international, multi-disciplinary academic network;
- Unique access to ample bibliographic resources and research funds to be used in Portugal and abroad;
- Individualized supervision and support.
Students are expected to produce an original doctoral dissertation and to launch a successful academic career. Throughout the program, they will be exposed to international best practices and scholars, and they will be asked to present their research to their peers periodically. Academic skills will also be fostered through the presentation of written reports of research advances and results.
The PhD in Comparative Politics has a total duration of 8 semesters, corresponding to 240 ECTS.
Course Units in Year 1 offerstudents research, theoretical and methodological training seminars. At the end of this first year, students are required to submit a draft outline of their doctoral dissertation, in which they define their chosen specialty area, either in Comparative Politics or International Relations. The first year is therefore to be seen as a probationary period.
The remaining six semesters cover the drafting of the dissertation (132 ECTS), together with mandatory participation in Research Seminars (30 ECTS) and the Postgraduate Studies Seminar (18 ECTS).
Working languages are Portuguese and English.
Prazos de candidatura
As candidaturas para o ano lectivo 2018/2019 encontram-se encerradas.
As candidaturas para o ano lectivo 2019/2020 abrirão no primeiro trimestre de 2019.
a) Certificados de licenciatura, mestrado e outras qualificações académicas, incluindo registos académicos com notas obtidas;
b) Cópia da dissertação de mestrado (formato digital) e, se for o caso, cópias da dissertação de licenciatura e trabalhos publicados;
c) CV detalhado;
d) Projeto de pesquisa, incluindo:
- Área de conhecimento / especialização;
- Resumo (150 palavras);
- Estado da Arte (500 palavras);
- Objetivos (300 palavras);
- Descrição detalhada (1000 palavras);
- Bibliografia (20 títulos);
e) 2 cartas de recomendação;
f) Carta de intenções, indicando os motivos pelos quais o candidato escolheu o programa de Doutorado em Políticas Comparadas da ICS;
g) Comprovante do pagamento da taxa de registro (não reembolsável).