Webinar UTH - Housing crisis and social mobilization in times of Covid-19
Event 2: June 17, 2021 - ‘Housing Crisis and Social Mobilization in times of Covid-19’
14.00-17.00 (WEST – Lisbon); 15.00-18.00 (CEST – Rome); 16.00-19.00 (EEST – Athens)
The seminar will focus on issues related to Housing Crisis and Social Mobilization linking the discussion to the current context of COVID19 to analyze what evolution in the power relations between institutions and bottom-up claims this situation has triggered.
For the occasion the Lisbon situation will be compared with other international realities: Barcelona and Madrid, Rome and Berlin. In the last year, in the context of the global crisis due to COVID 19, the need for addressing a renovated urgent housing issue, is getting a new centrality in legitimising national and extra- national institutions and, of course, for local mobilisations and housing movements. Are we today in a different context in which the social pressure, due to theex traordinary COVID19 crisis, can make it possible for bottom-up claims connected to social justice and housing rights today, to become more effective and be capable to produce structural changes achieving goals that weren’t capable to achieve before, even after the global crisis of 2008?
• Armin Kuhn (Adviser of the Left Parliamentarian Group in the German Bundestag and activist of Stadt von Unten Berlin)
• Marco Allegra (ICS – University of Lisbon)
• Margherita Grazioli (GSSI and activist of BPM housing movement in Rome)
• Miguel A. Martinez (University of Uppsala)
• Simone Tulumello (ICS – University of Lisbon, Urban Transitions Hub)
• Mara Ferreri (Research Fellow at Northumbria University)