Scientific Culture and Science Outreach
Scientific Culture and Science Outreach
The Master's in Scientific Culture and Science Outreach is a joint iniciative of the Instituto de Educação, da Faculdade de Ciências and the Instituto de Ciências Sociais of the Universidade de Lisboa, which has the participation of several other schools of the Universidade de Lisboa, taking advantage of the multidisciplinary knowledge produced in them. The participation of different schools and museums represents an opportunity to create synergies in different areas of knowledge, giving this master's degree an undeniable potential of quality.
This master's degree aims to train professionals to develop strategies to promote the scientific culture of citizens, whereby the perspective of communication and dissemination will accompany all components of the programme, assuming different degrees of depth and scope.
With this cycle of studies, it is intended that students:
- Understand scientific culture as an integral part of national heritage, tangible and intangible, and discuss its implications for public decision-making;
- Recognize that understanding science implies knowledge about the nature of science and that its dissemination requires knowledge about strategies for disseminating that knowledge;
- Recognize the importance of formal, non-formal and informal contexts for science learning.
- Reflect on the importance of conceptualizing and organizing scientific heritage in museums and science centres;
- Develop and implement effective strategies for disseminating scientific content according to a specific target audience and specific communication context;
- Acquire the capacity to carry out intervention or research projects in the field of disseminating scientific knowledge based on museums and scientific heritage and their educational services.
Os seguintes docentes do ICS participam no curso de mestrado:
The Master's in Scientific Culture and Science Outreach is a two-year programme in which students must obtain a total of 120 ECTS:
- Curricular Units (72 ECTS);
- Preparation, submission and defence of dissertation (48 ECTS).
1st YEAR - 1st SEMESTER
|History and Sociology of Science
|Science, Communication and Media Culture
|Museology of Science
|Scientific Culture and Society I
|Social Science Research Methodologies
1st YEAR - 2nd SEMESTER
|Scientific Culture and Society II
|Strategies and Practices of Science Outreach
|Health Sciences Laboratory
|Engineering and Technology Sciences Laboratory
|Earth, Sea and Space Sciences Laboratory
|Social and Human Sciences Laboratory
|Dissertation / Project Work / Internship Report
The following are admitted as applicants:
- Holders of a bachelor's degree or legal equivalent in scientific or technological fields;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree awarded following a 1st cycle of studies organized in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process by a state adhering to this Process;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree that is recognized as meeting the objectives of the degree by the Scientific Council of the Instituto de Educação of the Universidade de Lisboa;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting to the ability to carry out this cycle of studies by the Scientific Council of the Instituto de Educação of the Universidade de Lisboa.
Applications 2023/2024: 7th April 2023 to 8th June 2023
Applications through the IE FenixEdu platform: https://fenix.ie.ulisboa.pt.
To create a registration, please access https://fenix.ie.ulisboa.pt/accountCreation.
In case you already have a registration, you can recover the access at https://fenix.ie.ulisboa.pt/passwordResetRequest.
In case you already have a student number at IE, you should use your Campus account credentials. You may recover your access to this account at https://utilizador.ulisboa.pt.
The application fee is 60 €.
Applications must be submitted with the following documents:
- Certificate of Bachelor's degree or equivalent academic degree;
- Academic, scientific and/or professional curriculum, with copies of the documents referenced;
- Leeter of interest in attending the programme;
- Other documents that the applicant considers relevant.
If the bachelor's degree or legal equivalent was taken outside the European Union, the certificate must be authenticated by the Portuguese Consulate of the country where the qualification was obtained.
In the selection of candidates to attend this cycle of studies, a global assessment of their path will be carried out, in which the following criteria will be weighted:
- Classification of the academic degree they hold, if indicated on a scale from 0 to 20, scored from 1 to 5;
- Academic, scientific and technical curriculum, scored from 1 to 5;
- Professional experience in the field of the programme, scored from 1 to 5.
An interview may be conducted with the applicant if the jury deems it necessary.
Applicants will be ranked according to the score obtained in the selection.