Four schools of the University of Lisbon (ULisboa) came together to offer a unique doctoral program in Population Sciences: Instituto Superior de Ciências Sociais e Políticas (ISCSP), Instituto de Ciências Sociais (ICS), Instituto de Geografia e Ordenamento do Território (IGOT) and Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestão (ISEG).
A key feature of this programme is its interdisciplinary character, using mainly quantitative methods to study population issues. The programme acknowledges that studying population and the causes and consequences of demographic events calls upon and contributes to various scientific areas.
In the first three years of operation, the PhD in Population Sciences is taught at ISCSP, which will also assume leadership of the Scientific Committee. This is rotated among the four institutions, in three-year cycles.
The main objective of this course is to fill the void in Portugal in 3rd cycle training in Population Sciences and thus promote the development of skills and knowledge necessary for positions, whether public or private, that require advanced training in this area. Being a 3rd cycle of studies, it fundamentally aims to promote highly specialized training and research in this area.
The PhD in Population Sciences is a four-year programme in which students must obtain a total of 240 ECTS (credits):
- Curricular Units (60 ECTS);
- Preparation, submission and viva (180 ECTS).
Courses are taught in the first year of the programme over 2 semester.
1st YEAR - 1st SEMESTER
|Population Sciences: concepts, models, and thought||6 ECTS|
|Demography: population measures and dynamics||9 ECTS|
|Data and research methods in Population Sciences||6 ECTS|
|Research Seminar I||3 ECTS|
1st YEAR - 2nd SEMESTER
|Key topics in Population Sciences in the 21st Century||6 ECTS|
|Quantitative methods applied to Population Sciences||9 ECTS|
|Qualitative methods applied to Population Sciences||6 ECTS|
|Research Seminar II||3 ECTS|
2nd YEAR - 1st SEMESTER
2nd YEAR - 2nd SEMESTER
3rd YEAR - 1st SEMESTER
3rd YEAR - 2nd SEMESTER
4th YEAR - 1st SEMESTER
4th YEAR - 2nd SEMESTER
The following are admitted as applicants:
- Holders of a Master's degree or legal equivalent;
- Holders of a Bachelor's degree that have a specially relevant academic and scientific curriculum that is recognised by the Scientific Council as attesting for the capability to carry out this cycle of studies;
- Exceptionally, holders of a professional, scientific, and academic curriculum that is recognized by the Scientific Council as attesting for the capability to carry out this cycle of studies.
1st Call: 1st February 2023 to 31st March 2023
2nd Call: 1st May 2023 to 30th June 2023
3rd Call: 1st August 2023 to 15th September 2023
Applications through the ISCSP FenixEdu platform: https://fenix.iscsp.ulisboa.pt.
To create a registration, please access https://fenix.iscsp.ulisboa.pt/accountCreation.
In case you already have a registration, you can recover the access at https://fenix.iscsp.ulisboa.pt/passwordResetRequest.
In case you already have a student number at ISCSP, you should use your Campus account credentials. You may recover your access to this account at https://utilizador.ulisboa.pt.
Applications must be submitted with the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Copy of the Master's dissertation and/or publications (in Portuguese, English, Spanish, Italian or French; if any other language is used, send a translated version to Portuguese or English);
- Degree certificate (in Portuguese, English, Spanish, Italian or French; if any other language is used, an oficial translation to Portuguese or English is required);
- Motivation letter (in English);
- Two names, and respective email addresses, of scholars to whom we can ask your reference letters