The PhD programme in Comparative Politics is strongly based on the research activities conducted at ICS. We aspire to scholarly excellence by combining research and teaching.
ICS is among the top institutions in Portugal as regards research in comparative politics and international relations. This PhD programme provides:
- Training in advanced methodological techniques;
- Exposure to the most up-to-date international research;
- Interaction with cutting edge national and international scholars;
- Integration into an international, multi-disciplinary academic network;
- Unique access to ample bibliographic resources and research funds to be used in Portugal and abroad;
- Individualized supervision and support.
Students are expected to produce an original doctoral dissertation and to launch a successful academic career. Throughout the program, they will be exposed to international best practices and scholars, and they will be asked to present their research to their peers periodically. Academic skills will also be fostered through the presentation of written reports of research advances and results.
The PhD in Comparative Politics has a total duration of 8 semesters, corresponding to 240 ECTS.
Course Units in Year 1 offerstudents research, theoretical and methodological training seminars. At the end of this first year, students are required to submit a draft outline of their doctoral dissertation, in which they define their chosen specialty area, either in Comparative Politics or International Relations. The first year is therefore to be seen as a probationary period.
The remaining six semesters cover the drafting of the dissertation (132 ECTS), together with mandatory participation in Research Seminars (30 ECTS) and the Postgraduate Studies Seminar (18 ECTS).
Working languages are Portuguese and English.
1st YEAR - 1st SEMESTER
1st YEAR - 2nd SEMESTER
2nd YEAR - 1st SEMESTER
|Postgraduate Research Seminar III||3 ECTS|
Research Seminar in Comparative Politics III
|Dissertation I||22 ECTS|
2nd YEAR - 2nd SEMESTER
|Postgraduate Research Seminar IV||3 ECTS|
Research Seminar in Comparative Politics IV
|Dissertation II||22 ECTS|
3rd YEAR - 1st SEMESTER
|Postgraduate Research Seminar V||3 ECTS|
Research Seminar in Comparative Politics V
|Dissertation III||22 ECTS|
3rd YEAR - 2nd SEMESTER
|Postgraduate Research Seminar VI||3 ECTS|
Research Seminar in Comparative Politics VI
|Dissertation IV||22 ECTS|
4th YEAR - 1st SEMESTER
|Postgraduate Research Seminar VII||3 ECTS|
Research Seminar in Comparative Politics VII
|Dissertation V||22 ECTS|
4th YEAR - 2nd SEMESTER
|Postgraduate Research Seminar VIII||3 ECTS|
Research Seminar in Comparative Politics VIII
|Dissertation VI||22 ECTS|
The following are admitted as applicants:
- Holders of a Master's degree or legal equivalent in the fields of History, Philosophy, Geography, European Studies, Law, Political Science, Public Administration, International Relations, Sociology and Communication;
- Exceptionally, holders of a Bachelor's degree or legal equivalent, holders of an especially relevant academic or scientific curriculumm that is recognised as attesting to the ability to carry out this cycle of studies by the legal body, that is statutorily competent, of the university where the the applicant wishes to be admitted in the fields above described.
- Applications: 20th March 2023 [2 pm] to 28th April 2023 [5 pm]
- Applications: 22nd May 2023 [2 pm] to 23rd June 2023 [5 pm]
Applications through the ICS FenixEdu platform: https://fenix.ics.ulisboa.pt.
To create a registration, please access https://fenix.ics.ulisboa.pt/accountCreation.
In case you already have a registration, you can recover the access at https://fenix.ics.ulisboa.pt/passwordResetRequest.
In case you already have a student number at ICS, you should use your Campus account credentials. You may recover your access to this account at https://utilizador.ulisboa.pt.
The application fee is € 50.
Applications must be submitted with the following documents:
- Certificates of Bachelor's, Master's and other academic qualifications, including academic transcripts with the grades obtained and the grading scales used at the awarding institute;
- Copy of the Master's dissertation (digital format) and, if applicable, copies of the Bachelor's dissertation and relevant published works;
- Detailed CV;
- Research Project, including:
- Field of knowledge / expertise;
- Summary (150 words);
- State of the Art (500 words);
- Objectives (300 words);
- Analytical description (1000 words);
- Bibliography (20 titles);
- Two letters of recommendation signed and dated no later than 12 months;
- Letter of interest, indicating the reasons for applying to the PhD programme in Comparative Politics at ICS-ULisboa.