Ana Horta is postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Lisbon, Institute of Social Sciences, holding a fellowship from the national Foundation for Science and Technology. She holds a degree (licenciatura) in Sociology, a MSc in Communication, Culture and Information Technologies, and a PhD in Sociology from ISCTE-IUL (University Institute of Lisbon).
After graduating, she worked as research assistant at Observa - Environment and Society Observatory. Between 1997 and 2007 she taught Sociology of Communication, Research Methods and Techniques applied to Journalism, and Theories of Communication and Journalism at the Polytechnic Institute of Lisbon, School of Communication and Media Studies. Since 2007 she has been research fellow at ICS, where she is part of the research group on Environment, Territory and Society, and of Observa.
She was a member of the Working Group on Social Behaviors to prepare the National Action Plan for Energy Efficiency. She has participated in the organization of the Energy & Society Conferences (Lisbon, 2012; Krakow, 2014; Leipzig, 2016; Exeter, 2018). She is a member of the management committee of the COST Action European Energy Poverty: Agenda co-creation and knowledge innovation (ENGAGER).
Her main research interests are focused on energy transition, including social practices and representations, as well as media discourses on energy and climate change. Recently she has also conducted research on energy poverty. She has also been interested in issues such as food insecurity, food, and relations between humans and animals.
She was awarded the prize Young Sociologist of Portuguese Language by the Association Internationale des Sociologues de Langue Française. She received the Honorable mention of the Prize Jacques Delors 2006, an Outstanding Reviewer Award by the Emerald Group Publishing, and a 2016 Best Reviewer Certificate from Elsevier.
She is member of the Portuguese Association of Sociology (being part of the coordination of the section on Environment and Society), and the European Sociological Association.
- Horta, A. (2018) «Energy consumption as part of social practices: the alternative approach of practice theory». In D. J. Davidson, M. Gross (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Energy and Society. Oxford University Press: 31-44.
- Horta, A; Carvalho, A. (2017) «Climate change communication in Portugal» In Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Climate Science. Oxford University Press. Doi:10.1093/acrefore/9780190228620.013.599
- Horta, A; Carvalho, A.; Schmidt, L. (2017) «The hegemony of global politics: news coverage of climate change in a small country». Society & Natural Resources. 30(10): 1246-1260.
- Horta, A.; Fonseca, S.; Truninger, M.; Nobre, N.; Correia, A. (2016) «Mobile phones, batteries and power consumption: An analysis of social practices in Portugal». Energy Research & Social Science, 13: 15-23. Doi: 10.1016/j.erss.2015.11.010
- Bartiaux, F.; Schmidt, L.; Horta, A.; Correia, A. (2016) «Social diffusion of energy-related practices and representations: patterns and policies in Portugal and Belgium». Energy Policy, 88C, pp. 413-421. Doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2015.10.046