Cinema and Social Sciences
Cinema and Social Sciences
- Introduce the film object as an object of analysis and a research and dissemination tool in the Humanities and Social Sciences;
- Explore the main audiovisual literacy tools;
- Examine moving images in detail, relating textual analysis to the cultural, historical and social contexts in which these images are produced;
- Explore theoretical paths and current perspectives on the contexts of preservation and distribution of the moving image;
- Offer the possibility of direct contact with national and municipal archives of the moving image, as well as discussion with researchers and professionals in the field of cinema, video and audiovisual;
- Introduce the main techniques for producing moving images, with a view to creating short films, and reflecting on the relationship they establish with research projects in different areas and different natures in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
Are you an anthropologist? Do you capture or would you like to capture sound and image in field work? Are you a historian and do you use archives that include moving images? Are you a sociologist and do you do interviews that you would like to publicize in a dynamic and accessible language? Do you know the rules and conventions of cinema and audiovisual language? The ICS summer school “Cinema e Ciências Sociais” deepens these questions through three guiding axes: “Reading/Seeing Cinema”, “Cinema and Archive”, and “Making Cinema”.
Addressing the relationship between Film and Social Sciences, the sessions feature guest speaker presentations on artistic creation, methods of accessing and working in archives, and academic research in the social sciences. Through the discussion of films developed by researchers, practical cases are analyzed on the value of cinema and audiovisual in subjects such as History, Anthropology, Geography or Sociology, as well as the introductory practice to the making of short films.
12th grade/High School
Applications: Up to 04/09/2022
Applications exclusively online through FenixEdu: https://fenix.ics.ulisboa.pt.
If you already have an ICS account, you must use your Campus/Edu credentials to apply. You can regain access to your ULisboa account at: https://utilizador.ulisboa.pt.
If you have never been an ICS student, you must register at: https://fenix.ics.ulisboa.pt/accountCreation.
If you do not remember your ICS Fénix access data, you must regain access at: https://fenix.ics.ulisboa.pt/passwordResetRequest.
The application costs €10.
Application Fee: €10
Registration Fee (which includes school insurance): €25
Frequency Fee: €100 *
* According to the ICS-ULisboa School Regulations, all elements of the ICS Community (students, researchers and technicians) benefit from a 50% discount.